As we near the end of the year, we each reflect on our accomplishments, count our blessings and give thanks for the goodness in our lives.
All of us at Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation want to thank you for your commitment to the cause of childhood cancer, for your active engagement in our many events and programs, and for your determination to raise funds to help improve the quality of life and health outcomes of children with cancer.
And so it’s with much gratitude and some pride that we’re able to share the results of our collective efforts in 2014. Last week we wrote more than 60 cheques to childhood cancer charities and pediatric oncology hospitals across Canada. These cheques totalled $4,850,000. Once again in 2014, we are so proud to hold true to our commitment to distribute 100% of your receipted donations.
These funds are being distributed to organizations in every province in Canada, from British Columbia to Newfoundland… organizations that have committed to helping children with cancer and their families:
- $1.9 million to the many camp organizations that give children a break from their cancer. These organizations work year-round, at summer camp locations, at city camps and even in the hospitals to help bring the fun and relief of a camp experience to the children who most need it. We are so proud to support Camp Trillium, Camp Quality, Camp Oochigeas, Kids Cancer Care Alberta, Camp Delight, Camp Goodtime and Lions Sick Children’s Fund
- $950,000 to help fund over 20 organizations in communities across Canada that support children with cancer and their families. This often involves helping families pay the rent or mortgage or other bills while they look after their child with cancer
- $850,000 directly to the Pediatric Oncology Research Floor at the Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning at SickKids. Because we will not stop until we’ve reached our Destination: Beyond Kids Cancer
- $675,000 to fund important pediatric oncology research projects at other hospitals in Canada
- $400,000 to the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO), for family financial assistance
- $75,000 to Ontario Parents Advocating for Children With Cancer
2014 was a challenging year, and like many other charitable foundations and fundraising programs, our overall participation, donations and sponsorship dollars were down slightly from the previous year.
However next year is shaping up to be very exciting and we’re hoping to bring even more people into this amazing Coast to Coast Against Cancer family and community.
So, in 2015 we’ll be back with Tour For Kids events in the West, and an all-new format in Ontario and the Maritimes. We will be expanding The Inside Ride program in Western Canada. And the 2015 Sears National Kids Cancer Ride already has a large number of returning riders who are committed to cycling across Canada for childhood cancer (and there’s still room for more!)
Plus, we’ll be adding a number of new and exciting events in 2015 and 2016 to help reach and engage new audiences: a cool new urban adventure cycling event (get your fixies ready!), a pop culture event associated with Fan Expo in September, and a winter “snow-athlon” event featuring skiing, snow-shoeing and fat bikes!
As we approach the holiday season and wrap up 2014, we want to thank you for your support, commitment, energy and dedication… we really love having you part of our family! Even more importantly, together, we are making a difference in the lives of children with cancer.
So as you wrap up your year and pause to reflect on your accomplishments, count your blessing or give thanks for all the goodness in your life, you might also give yourself a pat on the back. Because somewhere in Canada a child with cancer or their parent is also giving thanks for the support they received from the very organizations that your efforts have funded.