November 25, 1999
- Hometown: Brampton, Ontario
- Year of Diagnosis: June 2002, July 2005, June 2009
- Diagnosis: Anaplastic Ependymoma
What are some things that make you really happy? I like reading and spending time with friends. I like sports, especially curling and rowing. I really enjoy going to camp and also being active and interacting with people. Seeing new places and having good times bring me happiness.
List 3 good things that resulted from your diagnosis/treatment
- I have been very fortunate to meet some amazing people and enjoy various things that were generously given to me.
- I have also met some awesome friends at camp who will probably be my friends for a long, long, long time.
- Overall, I have learned how to look at the bright side of things and how to keep my head up and take each new day, each new challenge in stride.
Why are you involved in Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation? I feel that it is necessary to give back to the community that helped me to win my battle. Whether that is in the form of personally raising money, sharing my story, volunteering, or being a face that brings a smile to people`s faces; I am more than happy to do that
What do you tell people about your diagnosis/treatment? I hold nothing back when I tell people about my diagnosis and treatment. I tell them about my story and if they want to know more, I am more than happy to tell them. I do this because I realize that my story is powerful and unique. I also know that mine is one of many stories. If I can get awareness out, I can hopefully make an impact on helping to get funds for research.
What advice would you give a child undergoing treatment now? Find something you like to do and look forward to going back to that. Find a light at the end of the tunnel, keep your head up, and take it one day at a time. Keep pushing, persevering even when times get tough.
If you could try out any job for a day, what would you like to try? I would be a paediatric nurse for a day. This would be my choice because I like meeting and interacting with new people. I enjoy caring for people, specifically kids.