$4.7 MILLION DISTRIBUTED TO CHILDHOOD CANCER PROGRAMS
On behalf of the entire team at Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation I want to thank you for your commitment to the cause of childhood cancer, for your involvement in our many events and programs, and for your determination to raise funds to help improve the quality of life and health outcomes of children with cancer.
This year has been filled with so many memorable highlights:
- The 2015 Sears National Kids Cancer Ride team cycled over 7000 km from Vancouver to Halifax. They met and connected with children and their families, inspired hope, learned about the amazing work being done by cancer professional all across Canada, and enjoyed the warmth and comfort offered by the staff, management and customers of Sears Canada and the many other partners who support this incredible effort.
- For twelve years now, Tour For Kids has been raising funds to help kids with cancer just be kids again and enjoy a camp experience. The 2015 Ontario and Alberta events once again brought together a committed community of riders and volunteers, cancer survivors and their families, while being inspired by the memories of some very special angels.
- The Inside Ride and Inside Ride National Tour brought the cause of childhood cancer to the fore with more than 20,000 people – riders, volunteers and organizers – at over 125 events all across Canada, not only raising much needed funds, but creating a groundswell of support for the cause, the kids and the families.
- The amazing Bike For Tykes team of organizers, volunteers and of course spinners, who together achieved another record fundraising and participation milestone, while bringing so much fun, excitement and awareness to downtown Toronto
- Since 2002, Ride For Karen, a Fall cycling classic, has raised funds to send kids with cancer to camp
- And so many other events and fundraising programs, championed by people who are committed to supporting children with cancer and their families: Brampton Rotary Rib N Roll, Fan Expo Breakfast with the Stars, the Toss ‘Em Up for Childhood Cancer ring toss tournament and so many more amazing, uplifting and inspiring events.
IT’S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR
This is the happiest time of the year for our Foundation. This is when we tally up all the fundraising that’s been done throughout the year and write cheques to distribute the funds. This year we’re sending money to more than fifty childhood cancer organizations all across Canada, the organizations that are really making a difference for children with cancer: the hospitals that care for children and conduct research into new treatments and cures for childhood cancer; the childhood cancer camps that help kids and their families forget what they’re going through and enjoy just being a kid again; and the support organizations that help offset some of the stress and strain, including financial, that families endure when their children are fighting cancer.
$4,675,000 FOR THE FIGHT AGAINST KIDS CANCER
Earlier this week we wrote and distributed cheques totaling $4,675,000. This money will go to childhood cancer charities and pediatric oncology hospitals all across Canada. During 2015, receipted donations totaled $4,190,000. So not only are we keeping our promise to distribute 100% of receipted donations, we’re also distributing almost $500,000 in additional funds.
HELPING KIDS WITH CANCER ALL ACROSS CANADA
These funds will go to organizations in every province in Canada, from British Columbia to Newfoundland and Labrador, organizations that have committed to helping children with cancer and their families:
- $1,937,000 to the many camp organizations that give children a break from their cancer. These organizations work year-round, at summer camp locations, at city camps and even in the hospitals to help bring the fun and relief of a camp experience to the children who most need it. We are proud to support Camp Trillium, Camp Quality, Camp Oochigeas and Kids Cancer Care Alberta and many other camp organizations
- $1,428,000 to help fund almost twenty organizations in communities across Canada that support children with cancer and their families. This often involves helping families pay the rent or mortgage or other bills when they are unable to work because of a sick child
- $1,310,000 to fund important pediatric oncology research projects at children’s hospitals all across Canada
- And we are very proud to announce that included in these amounts above, is a $700,000 donation to Toronto Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in support of pediatric oncology research at the Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning (PGCRL) at SickKids. This completes our 5-year, $4 million commitment to SickKids one full year ahead of schedule.
SO WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY COME FROM?
In 2015, Tour For Kids and the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride each raised well above $1 million, while the Inside Ride and the Inside Ride National Tour raised over $1.5 million. And many of you who are also passionate champions and advocates of childhood cancer programs organized events such as Bike for Tykes, raising a new record $320,000 toward research at SickKids, the Ride For Karen team, the Fan Expo team with their Breakfast with the Stars event, and many other amazing events.
LOOKING FORWARD TO 2016
2016 is shaping up to be very exciting and we’re hoping to bring even more people into this amazing Coast to Coast Against Cancer family and community. So, in 2016 we’ll be back with Tour For Kids events including a return to Atlantic Canada. We will be expanding The Inside Ride program to reach more communities. And the 2016 Sears National Kids Cancer Ride will be back with a new team to cycle across Canada for childhood cancer, bringing a message of inspiration and hope. And if you want to get even more involved, we would be happy to talk to you about volunteering, running an event, bringing new sponsorships or any other great ideas that you may have to help create awareness or raise funds.
YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF KIDS WITH CANCER
As we wrap up 2015 and get ready to enjoy the holiday season and, we want to thank you for your support, commitment, energy and dedication… we really love having you part of our family! Even more importantly, together, we are making a difference in the lives of children with cancer and their families.
So as you pause to reflect on your accomplishments, count your blessings or give thanks for all the goodness in your life, you might also give yourself a pat on the back. Because somewhere in Canada a child with cancer or their parent is also giving thanks for the support they received from the very organizations that your efforts have funded.
Founder and Very Passionate Volunteer
COAST TO COAST AGAINST CANCER FOUNDATION